This lack of understanding greatly decreases the chances for successfully navigating transformation and embarking upon sustainable trajectories. Research at Stockholm Resilience Centre focuses on bridging this gap.
1. Transformations involve incremental as well as abrupt change at many different scales.
2. There are at least three recognizable phases of transformation in social-ecological systems.
3. Institutional entrepreneurship and transformational leadership play an important role in moving through these multiple phases.
4. There is a clear link between crisis and opportunity for creating radical shifts and transformations.
5. "Shadow networks" play an important role in experimenting and finding new solutions to global environmental problems.
6. Innovations can break self-reinforcing feedback loops that keep social-ecological systems on an undesired trajectory or in a lock-in trap.
7. Resilience thinking adds the social-ecological system perspective to transitions toward global sustainability.
Phase 2: In the navigation phase, crossscale brokers can provide bridging functions that connect different actors operating at different scales and launch new initiatives and scale up innovations.
Phase 3: In the building resilience phase bridging organisations can create incentives and foster values for stewardship in the new context.
Source; Olsson et al. 2004, Folke et al. 2009
Research news | 2017-06-22
Fisheries in least developed countries among world’s most vulnerable to climate change
Research news | 2017-06-21
Placed-based sustainability efforts often fail to recognise the risk of piling up the environmental pressure elsewhere
Research news | 2017-06-15
How an ongoing project aims to develop positive visions of the Anthropocene for southern Africa and beyond
General news | 2017-06-13
Centre director selected from a global short-list of remarkable candidates demonstrating "extraordinary leadership in mid-career"
Research news | 2017-06-12
New study explores how information and collaboration influence governance networks, and highlights trade-offs and benefits of using adaptive policies
Educational news | 2017-06-12
We seek change makers for LEAP - a new leadership programme on human and planetary opportunities