These actors tend to be connected in social networks (see figure below for an example) and can provide leadership, trust, vision, and meaning in ways that help manage conflicts, anticipate and prepare for uncertainty and change or transform management organisations toward a learning environment (Folke et al. 2005, Boyd and Folke 2012).
Adaptive governance of interdependent social and ecological systems is key to address complex interactions and to manage uncertainty and periods of change.
A central characteristic of such adaptive governance is collaborative, flexible and learning-based issue management across different scales.
1. Adaptive governance provides guidance for understanding connectivity between features of resilience, dynamic change, processes and outcomes.
2. The processes of adaptive governance require an arena/platform to bridge sectors and organizational levels.
3. Adaptive governance coordinates different types of networks.
4. Network structure affects adaptive governance processes.
5. Legitimacy and accountability of self-organised governance networks can be constructed in different ways.
6. Abrupt change requires a different theoretical analysis.
7. Adaptive governance can operate in a global context.
Research news | 2017-08-19
Social innovation initiatives must be fit for the challenges of the Anthropocene
Research news | 2017-08-18
Collaborative governance not always fit for solving environmental problems, according to new review article in Science
Research news | 2017-08-14
Free online conference, Ecology and civilization , for young scholars happening from 14-18 August 2017. Stockholm Resilience Centre will host a session on 15 August at 16:30 (UTC)
Research news | 2017-08-08
Centre scientists and CEO’s of world largest seafood companies form coalition to turn seafood industry more sustainable. New PNAS study highlights the importance and process of science-business partnerships
Research news | 2017-08-03
New study looks at ecological compensation, a novel legal and policy instrument, and how Sweden is using it to balance development and conservation of important biological and social areas
General news | 2017-07-20
Initiative is the first time that companies from Asia, Europe and the US have come together with the aim to end unsustainable practices